Ads by Addiply

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A new business

AFTER six years working in higher education I handed in my notice to the University of Sunderland today.

From September I will be fully self-employed as a media law consultant, journalist and journalism trainer. It's a nerve-wracking moment, taking the step of relying totally on the business I can find myself to make a living, but an enormously exciting one.

I have also been writing more than ever and it has been a joy to get back to what I originally started doing 23 years ago this month - journalism. It's a fascinating time to be involved in this area, with first libel reform and now phone-hacking attracting a great deal of attention to media law.

Some of you reading this will already have attended one of my law seminars or journalism courses and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

The business offers media law training to journalists and non-journalists. You can see from my biog on the right some of the clients with whom I've worked. Recently, it has been interesting to see the number of non-media organisations who have called upon my services, such as charities, the police, unions, local government and others. This growth has prompted my move to go full-time as a consultant.

If you would like to talk about how I can help your organisation, please contact me at d.banks3(at)btinternet.com

No comments: